A new fashion season has magically appeared, along with the gorgeous sunshine. Here’s a round-up of some of the key trends to grace the runway shows:
1. Bold garden-hued dresses: bold florals are always a spring thing but this season the emphasis is on bolder colours and impactful prints. Think dresses in all the bright colours found at the Chelsea Flower Show – sunflower yellow, pansy purple, nasturtium pink, gerbera red and stem green.
2. Shoulder & sleeve drama: the resurgence of the ‘80s bold shoulder is going nowhere and will only get bigger. Look out for origami or peaked shoulders and puff sleeves especially, whether for tops, dresses or coats.
3. Oversized boyfriend shirt: a shirt is a classic piece and a man’s shirt gives an edge. Elevate it to the next level this season with a femme twist, such as in girly colours such as pastel pink, delicate fabrics such as lace and lady-like cuts such as cropped at the waist.
4. Oversized jeans and trousers: the slouchy jogger (which was so 2020) has been elevated this season into loose denim and wide-legged trousers. High-waisted and wide-legged is the current silhouette, while the current mood is cool and comfy.
5. Cut-outs: This trend was big last season and, for now, it’s here to stay. Key areas of focus include the waist, hips, stomach and neck. This look is effortlessly suggestive and more subtle than flashing legs or cleavage.
6. Netting: A more dramatic trend to hit the runway, netting can be worn in the form of dresses, vest or as part of a layered outfit. This trend will add texture to any look. Pay close attention to underwear if it’s on show!
7. Glitter ball: What shines and sparkles all over? Someone who is fashionable this season. Like netting, sequins and shiny fabrics will get you plenty of attention. This look is especially hot when worn from head to foot, for example long dresses and two-piece suits.
Want to know how to wear these, and more, trends for your body shape and colouring? Sign up here to receive free and exclusive report 14 Trends for Spring / Summer 2021 – this insider review of the hottest trends for people who wear womenswear, with tips on how to make each work for your unique alchemy of body shape and colouring.
Below: Balmain, Victoria Beckham and Prada, all from Vogue. Click each pic for full collection.